Monday, July 2, 2012

Don't wake me up when September ends part 3







This is what I saw come down the aisle...beautiful
I looked down the aisle and I saw my bride to be and all this flood of emotion came pouring through my mind. I felt my eyes start to well up because all I could think about is how far we've gotten together as a couple because of this Goddamned disease, all the fear, all the pain, all the sadness and uncertainty all gone just by seeing how beautiful Lidia looked coming down the aisle. For those that know what the dress looked like, it was a simple dress but had a certain edginess to it. I'm a huge fan of blade and the matrix and seeing that dress was my idea of bridal badassness. If Lidia had a gun and sword and started killing everyone in the middle of the church, I think it would have been awesome. Well except that half my family and friends would be dead. Lol! I took Lidia away from my father in law, and no threat was issued like what I expect to do for Daniela's wedding. I looked into Lidia's eyes and I told her how beautiful she is. I don't know if she said anything back at me because all I could think about was how freaking sweaty I was. I had such a nice shine to my head and I was so hot, I'm sure you could have fried an egg on my head. The unity candle was our only hiccup throughout the entire ceramony. The unity candle represents exactly what the name implies, me and Lidia's unity to each other. Problem was, we couldn't get the dang thing to light up! I laughed to myself and I said to Lidia, "If this is any indication for anything in the future, we're gonna be in trouble!" Communion came by and it gave Lidia and I some extra moments together. Since I pledged without Lidia's permission that my wedding was going to be the first live wedding on Facebook through pictures and status updates, I needed a quick pic as our first unofficial "husband and wife" pictorial. I whipped out my phone and snapped a quick pic of Lidia and I with a handful of our family and friends getting communion in the background. Once that was over, the priest said the final blessing and introduced us to everyone as husband and wife. I grabbed her hand tightly looked her deeply into the eyes, and the very first thing I said to my wife as her husband was, "I love you."

Hope Jesus forgives me for taking pictures during church!
I don't know why I do this
Coming out of the church was complete pandemonium, with everyone taking pictures of us on the church steps. I see my boy Z taking a pic and give him my patent "I'm pointing at you picture." Followed by yelling at a random car in the street that I just got married! With them replying, "Crazy ass guy!" I went back to Lidia and I held her hand and looked up to see how nice the sky looked. It wasn't too hot, it wasn't too cold, it was actually pretty perfect. That was the one word to describe everything so far. Unfortunately, I knew today was going to end, but the thing I didn't know was how fast it was going to end.

09/24/2011
We all get into the limo and I was kinda bummed that the limo I ordered, the one where the doors opened up like a jet wasn't there. But that's alright, because once the limo's there, a limo is a limo. We all got in and headed back to the Westin to finish up the pictures. I thought to myself, "Was I gonna drink? Please don't let me go crazy like my bachelor party." Someone threw me a beer and I just shook my shoulders and hoped I wouldn't get belligerent. Pictures were taken at the terrace of the hall. Of course we had the traditional McDonald's run of cheeseburgers. It also gave me an opportunity to give my groomsmen their 2nd gift. The first one was given at the rehearsal dinner with each one getting their own gift card to their favorite store or restaurant. But this gift was even more personalized. They were Bulls jerseys with their names on the back and the numbers represented the date of the wedding. Pretty bad ass huh?

mmm cheeseburgers!
awesome lights!
Once the pictures were done, the craziness began. People started pouring in for the cocktail power hour. And let me tell you, the outside portion of the hall was completely packed! Out of nowhere people just started coming and I was like, "Is there another wedding?!" I gave a couple people a great idea, my cocktail hour was huge and immense, imagine how easy it is for someone to wedding crash. I would definitely do it! Once I become completely healthy, if that ever happens, one of the first things I'm gonna do is crash a wedding since I'll be missing a couple the next year due to current circumstance. It was so damn crowded that while walking with Lidia, I accidentally stepped on her dress and when I did I heard the loudest tear come from the dress. I laughed so hard as I saw the most pissed off look come from her face. Don't worry, it didn't rip that bad, it just sounded horribly bad. I was able to pour in a couple good hard drinks before cocktail hour began, and during the hour I intelligently took my daughter away from my inlaws and walked around with her having another vodka tonic while yelling out father of the year! No one got hurt during the process, but my asshole meter sure went a little higher. The reception started taking its place, and everything was beautifully done, the venue looked awesome, the cake was incredible, the toasts, videos, the lights by Windsor, even the prayer by McGovern was a complete joy to see. Everyone started clanking on their glasses, but since I was still updating my Facebook status on how incredibly awesome that lobster bisque was, they just had to wait! That shit was the bomb wasn't it?! You know something is really good if it delays a kiss at a wedding!

The night was progressing pretty well and our guests were taking full advantage of the extra activities at the wedding. The weird thing was, everyone was spread out everywhere so at times, the dance floor looked a lil dull. But when you have 350 people rotating from the dance floor, to the photo booth, to the chocolate fountain, then to the taco/burger station, don't forget the 4+ bars, and them "smokers" it's easy to understand why everyone was so dispersed. The thing that upset me the most was that I didn't take time to get some tacos or mini burgers. By the time I realized I wanted some it was all gone! As a consolation, I chowed on the strawberries and pineapples that we're sitting out for a couple hours. :(

The night winded down and we were all tired and sweaty. Usually we'd all go out and get more drinks or get some food but Lidia and I were honestly pooped. We go in our wedding room suite and out of exhaustion, I start taking off my shoes. But I completely forgot to carry Lidia in the room! So I tell her we had to go back out and come back in with me fireman carrying her back in and almost dropping her. Even times in my life where I'm supposed to be serious, comedic action still defines my life! I was excited to live the rest of my life in comedy with my beautiful wife and daughter as the biggest day of our lives came to a sweet close.

The source of my strength...
I'll admit I was expecting at least one person to get really crapped up at the wedding, and some people to hook up as that was the one thing lidia and i were constantly looking out for. But the fact that everyone had a great time was enough for me and Lidia. To this day we are still so very thankful to all that came! And as I currently fight my battle seeing everyone all come together at one time really touched my heart, and I love you all!

Well guys, the summer was now officially over, one of the best summers ive ever had was coming to a close. Spending time with my family was the only thing I could have ever asked for. The thought of being cancer free was spreading and our anxieties were going away. We slowly were adapting to normal life, going out to eat, enjoying each others company. September became October, the weather started getting a little chilly, and it was my favorite time of the year! Bears season!! Thanks to my boy, J.Munn I got to see 2 bears games, against the panthers and Vikings. I thought to myself finally, my life is back! 2 weeks have passed in October and my follow up PET scan was to take place. This was the first PET I was not nervous for because I honestly believed I was done, and I was cancer free. If this was all a dream, I wish no one woke me up when September ended. The next day getting the results of me relapsing, I don't think I've ever cried harder in my life. I began to realize, cancer was starting to wear me out and the thought of death finally became real. I called Lidia in a frenzied craze, and for her fear that I might do something, she had to rush home. Happiness was completely replaced with depression and despair....it was now October 16, 2011 and my mother fucking cancer has overtaken my body again.





No comments:

Post a Comment